1. it is now legal for children to make noise in berlin. link
2. some people just don’t know when to keep their pants on. link
1. the telephone was invented by the queen of england, luke skywalker was the first man on the moon, and newton invented fire and the internet, he also discovered the solar system and america. link
2. drinking makes you thin. link
3. you can buy sex at an auction. link
4. depression might be good for you. link
4a. typically, mental illnesses affect about 1% of the population. depression, however, affects between 20% and 40% of the population.
5. although the united states is not the land of the free, it is certainly the home of the brave… link
1. time really does go by faster as you get older… the recent earthquake in chile moved the earth’s centre of gravity by about 8 cm, thus shortening the length of a day by 1.26 microseconds. link and link
1a. the effect of wind has a similar effect on the length of the day, but it’s 3oo times greater. link
2. the large hadron collider gathers 40 terabytes of information per second during an experiment. link
3. sony finally figured out that 2010 is not a leap year… link
4. there is water on the moon. link
5. the story of lucy temerlin is worth learning. link
6. if you plan to overthrow the united states government, it will cost you at least $5. link
7. if the loonie that tried to blow up a plane landing in detroit at christmas had been successful, he wouldn’t have done much damage to the plane. link
8. the rate of birth defects in fallujah are incredibly high, regardless of what the official reports tell you. link
9. you have between 5,000 and 35,000 species of bacteria living in your intestines, but only 120 or so on your skin.
10. one profitable way to dispose of toxic and/or nuclear waste is to put it on a ship, and then scuttle it, claiming that the ship sank. there are people who track suspicious sinkings in an effort to follow this trend. link
1. all of the letters carried by the u.s. postal service is the equivalent of 5 pb (petabytes). (1 petabyte = 1000 terabytes) (1 terabyte = 1000 gigabytes)
2. google processes about 5 petabytes of data every 5 hours
3. until the introduction of the world wide web to the world, the number of people that read was in the decline due to television. since 1980, however, this number has tripled.
4. roughly 20% of surgical instruments are made in northern pakistan, where child labour is not uncommon. link
1. there are at least seven things that still confuse scientists. link
2. denmark overfishes 10 times the allowed quota in canadian waters. link
3. abbey road is for sale (the studio, not the actual road… and not the album… well… of course the album is for sale… oh, never mind…) link
4. lights make you honest and oranges make you generous. link
5. swiss banks holding jewish accounts created before ww2 made it exceedingly difficult for the remaining family members to get their money back after the war. link
6. swiss gold coins have been found in the past to have a high mercury content. this is very unusual for refined gold. one explanation is that the coins were made from gold taken from the teeth of nazi prisoners during ww2.
7. the swiss constitution states that it is illegal to confine either a pig or a budgie bird alone. taking 10 minutes to land a fish is considered animal torture, and the country is voting on creating ‘animal lawyers’ to deal with such issues. link
8. tuscans love cats. tuscans love cat. link
9. madeleine albright was born marie jana korbelová in czechoslovakia.
1. in texas, you can go to jail for trying to save people’s lives (by accusing the sheriff’s favourite doctor or being stupid). link
2. murmansk, russia, was changed from a small fishing port to a major industrial centre during the second world war due to the fact that the gulf stream keeps its water warm enough to not freeze during the winter.
3. there is water on saturn’s moon, enceladus. link
5. love stinks. link
6. elephants can walk while they’re running – or is that run while they’re walking? link
7. the rate of kids dropping out of school in denmark is double that of canada.
8. the pope approves of michael jackson. link
10. in an effort to cut budget, the city of colorado springs is selling its police helicopters. buy them here
1. the catholic church actively disputes human equality. link
2. paris is boring. link
3. in south america, there are places where fireflies do not blink randomly – they blink in unison. tens of thousands of them blink together at the same rate, lighting up the trees, then leaving them in blackness, over and over.
4. the scientist who discovered the importance of pheromones to ants, back when he was first spreading the word of his discovery, would do demonstrations be dragging an ant’s pheromone-producing organ across a surface, and show other ants following the trail. it was not unusual for him to write his name with the organ, which resulted in him spelling his name in ant.
5. science, generally speaking, has had a great deal of success over the past couple of hundred years with reductionism. in order to understand a system, the philosophy of science has been to break it down to its smallest constituent parts. however, there is a relatively new branch of science called “emergence” that goes the other way – it moves upwards to the whole instead of the component. this is the better way to understand things like ant colonies. ants, individually, are stupid. ants in colonies are incredibly smart.
6. there are ants who, just ahead of the monsoon season, build a small ridge around the opening to their colony. this raises the entrance above the surrounding ground. as a result, the colony doesn’t flood when the rain comes.
7. the ipad is not the first device to be poorly named… (okay, i already knew this, but there are some funny ones out there…) link and link and link and link and link and link and link and link and link and… never mind…
8. you can’t get rich on feng shui. link
9. when you’re surfing the internet for porn at work, you should always check first to make sure that there is nobody behind you, getting interviewed on national television… link
10. stealing from the girl guides will not go unpunished. link
11. relative to the size of the economy, british banks are 10 times larger than they were in 1970. link
12. 33.8% of americans are obese – a rate that is 10 times higher than japan’s. 68% of americans are obese or overweight. estimates based on current trends indicate that 100% of america will be overweight by 2048. link
13. power makes some people loonie. link
14. people who own cats are smarter than people who own dogs. link
15. having heard the jonas brothers perform live on television twice, i can say that they are completely unencumbered by talent.
1. behind your forehead is the part of the brain called the pre-frontal cortex. this is made of gray matter (the stuff that does the thinking) and white matter (the stuff that connects the gray matter together to send messages around). if you take a bunch of people and put them in an mri scanner, you’ll find that habitual liars have about 25% more white matter than other people.
2. the flynn effect – jim flynn noticed that i.q. scores have been increasing through the 20th century in the industrialised world. a person of average intelligence in 1900 would, today, have an i.q. indicating mental retardation. this is because we as a population are learning to think abstractly.
3. shakespeare is too racy for americans. link
5. j.d.salinger died. he took part in the battle of normandy.
6. some people feel that it is their right to be able to buy groceries in their pyjamas. link
7. mahatma gandhi was finally buried. well… his ashes were scattered into the ocean, but it took 62 years to do it… link
8. margaret thatcher ate 28 eggs a week as part of a pre-election high-protein diet. link
9. adultery is expensive in malaysia. link
10. men who drink 6 or more 6 oz cups of coffee a day have a 60% reduction in their risk of prostate cancer.
1. if air travel worked like american health care… (okay, i didn’t learn anything from this – but it’s funny because it’s true!)
2. car thiefs play grand theft auto. link
3. if you’re a man, it’s better to sleep with someone than it is to not sleep with someone. link
4. britons are dirty in bed. link
1. scots are drunk. link
2.i am, once again, happy that i use firefox on a mac. link
3. firefox is as popular as internet explorer, but mac isn’t as popular as windows (okay, okay, i knew that before last week, but now i know the real numbers). link
4. americans shouldn’t hunt near work. link