1. there is a mountain range in antarctica that is roughly alp-sized. however, these do not impress, since the valleys are filled with 4-km thick ice. see here.
2. according to some legends, eve was not adam’s first wife – she was his second. his first wife was lilith, who, unlike eve, was made from the earth by god, just like adam. she, being adam’s equal, demanded equal treatment. adam would not comply, lilith said the hebrew name of god, thus gaining immense power, and flew off. adam asked for a second wife, but one who would be subservient to him, so god complied, made him a woman out of his rib and thus millennia of discrimination began. interestingly, lilith shows up in various forms in various cultures. in some myths, she is the snake in the garden of eden. in others, she is the demon who kills women during childbirth or who causes miscarriages. in canadian culture, she’s the patron of a pretty good concert series started by sarah mclachlan.
3. glacial ice is full of small pockets of liquid water down at the bottom, near the ground. these keep the ice a little less brittle, thus allowing it to flow over land without snapping. for example, see this, or this.
4. the meaning of the word psephological, used in context in this article.
5. scientists aren’t as honest in their publications as they’d like you to believe… see this article.
6. black holes can be simulated with sound in a bose-einstein condensate. see this article.
7. i learned what a bose-einstein condensate is. see the previous article.
8. the u.s. air force lost a nuclear bomb in the water off the coast of savannah, georgia, 50 years ago. see this article.
9. when michael jackon died, he slowed down the internet. see this article.